There are few things higher on my list than a good, hearty, full of color and flavor soup and this one is in the running for my favorite yet. I first made this on a snowy winter day and it was the perfect end to our night.
- 16oz ground chicken (any ground meat or sausage would be great in this I can only imagine)
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 cups of diced sweet potatoes
- 2 cups of diced carrots
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1 can of navy beans
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 cups of chopped kale
- Seasonings: Thyme, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Cumin, Pepper, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes
- Top with: Fresh grated parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and roasted pumpkin seeds
- Start by cooking your ground chicken fully on the stovetop in oil, season with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder, add 1/4 cup of water halfway through to keep it from getting over dry. Remove and set aside.
- Add additional oil to the bottom of your pot and sauté chopped onions and garlic powder until translucent. Meanwhile, prep your sweet potatoes and carrots by washing, pealing and chopping to desired size (tip: I left most of the skin on our sweet potatoes).
- Add in your chopped carrots, sweet potatoes, beans, cooked chicken and broth and season with thyme, additional paprika, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Mix in your coconut milk and chopped kale (remove stems and massage it to help break down that tough texture first). Continue to simmer until kale is well softened and you are ready to serve.
- Top with Red Pepper Flakes, Parmesan, and Pumpkin Seeds just before enjoying.